Thursday, January 3, 2008

It's 2:30 a.m. - a few days into the new year.  I'm not sleeping, but it's not due to stress for a change.  This time, I think it's more a sense of wonder.  A comment from a reader leaves me wondering why I feel the way that I do, while at the same time filling me with gratitude that I do. I responded to him personally, but felt that others might have a similar reaction to these writings of mine, so I might as well address them in a more public way.  I think I have perhaps experienced something of what the commenter felt years ago when I attended some clergy workshop on caring for yourself, or beating stress, or finding your spiritual center, or something like that.  I remember leaving in an angry mood, certain that the person speaking knew nothing about my life, and clearly didn't have the issues and responsibilities that I had, or they would know that their path to wholeness and wellbeing was a luxury I couldn't afford.  Rather than giving me hope, I felt burdened by their belief that somehow I had it in me to create the space needed for this spiritual enhancement.  So, I went home feeling less cared for, more stressed, and further from my spiritual center.

The commenter wrote: "We look to our religious leaders for something more than theories, biblical regurgitations... and cosmic "If...Then" statements..."  I agree, which is why I decided to quit my job, give up our home, and live my hope in the here and now.  I've not been all that impressed with how the world is progressing, so I thought I'd actually try it Jesus' way for a while.  The commenter asked for details regarding the promised abundance.  I have to admit that Jesus is rather famously vague on details - I don't think he considered them important.  In fact, I don't think he considered them at all.  When one is seeking to live within the intimate presence of the Creator of the universe, the source of life and love, somehow the details lose their relevance.  There was no cost-benefit analysis in my decision to take this path.  I may end up in a more financially disastrous place than I already am, and my children may have to pay for their own college education (my older one already is working fulltime while attending school - and doing a damn fine job of it - we are enormously proud of her.)  Life could very definitely become much much harder than it is right now, but I am banking on the fact that growing closer to God and attuning my spirit more closely with the Spirit, will make my life much much more meaningful and joy-filled.  I am also trusting that God loves the rest of my family even more than I do and will continue to be present with them as well.

This is not to suggest that every person out there needs to leave their jobs, or family, or even their annuity funds (whatever those are) to become one with God.  (And, one final note to the commenter: losing one's job or wife or savings account through life circumstances is not the same as choosing to make changes for the betterment of the soul and service to God.  I don't believe that God yanks people or resources out of people's lives in order to get their attention.  Who wants mopey, resentful followers?)  This is just my story.  If it is helpful to anyone else - as we used to say in my youth group - Yippee Yippee Yahweh!  If not, I pray that you too will find a path, a story, a faith that makes sense to you and that compels you to explore.  Happy New Year. 

p.s. It's been a long time since I read the Bible for any reason other than sermon prep, so I'm using "The Daily Message: Through the Bible in One Year" by Eugene Peterson.  It's a paraphrase, not a strict translation, but nicely arranged, and has a pretty ribbon to mark my page.  It's the little things....

No comments: